In January of 1863, the sanctuary was dedicated to
the Glory of God.
It was originally
heated by two large wood-burning stoves, and there were livery sheds behind the building for horses and carriages.
The Sunday School room was added in 1914, and the basement was enlarged in 1949.
New siding was installed in 2005 to cover the weather-worn
many times painted boards.
2006 the congregation was given an Allen Digital Computer Organ.
October of 2009 the church purchased the property to the East for more parking.
The German Lutherans used the sanctuary until St. John's Lutheran Church
in Hebron was built in 1902.
When there was a school in
Alden, the church was used for school plays, operettas, and senior class banquets and graduations.
The building has been used over the years for Township and Cemetery Board meetings,
Scout troops, Alden Community Club, and many other civic causes.
favorite hymn of the congregation reminds us:
is not a building
The church is not a steeple,
The church is not a resting place,
The Church is the People!
are the Church" 1972 Hope Publishing